The perfect meal for a Meatless Monday. I found this recipe in my Titanic cookbook, so we’re going old school here. Vegetable Marrow Farci, is pretty much fancy for stuffed zucchini boats. They’re easy to make, delicious even warmed back up and perfect for anyone watching their calories.
Will need a medium to large skillet and a baking casserole dish.
- 2 large zuchinni
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup cooked rice ( I used a $1 whole grain, 90 second steam pouch from Kroger)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (Kroger has a can of these for 99cents)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Cut your zucchini in half, length wise creating two long spears each. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Hollow out your zucchini, put the guts to the side because we will be using these again.
- Place your hollowed out zucchini shells into your baking dish.
4. Put your skillet on medium to medium high, add in your olive oil and your red onions and garlic. Saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
5.While these are sauteing, dice up the reserved zucchini guts.
6.When your onions are a nice translucent color (not burnt) add in the dried oregano, tomato paste and the diced zucchini reserves. Cook for about 4-5 minutes. While doing so prepare your mushrooms.
7.Turn up the heat a little and add in your mushrooms, cook for about 5 minutes or until your vegetables are a nice brown. Now stir in your vinegar, let it saute for a few minutes. This is when I put my 90 second rice into the microwave to warm up.
8.Now remove the skillet from the heat, stir in your rice–add in your salt, pepper and your Parmesan cheese. Taste, taste, taste–make sure its how you want it.
9. Now comes the fun part, you’re going to restuff your zucchini shells with your filling. Don’t pack too tightly.
10. Once your shells are filled sprinkle bread crumbs over the top, maybe a little extra parmesan and then poor on a little melted butter to get those breadcrumbs toasty.
11. Place in oven and cook for 40 minutes. The zucchini should be tender, like stick a fork in it soft.
Maybe top with some fresh basil and enjoy. This can be a dish all on its own or a great side dish.